The head of the City Administration (Mayor) is elected for 5 years during the general election, which usually takes place in September.
The mayor selects two First Deputy Mayors as heads of Municipal Affairs and Territory Development. Several deputies are appointed to head the areas of economy and finance, agriculture, trade and business development, social affairs, and finally one deputy will lead the City Administration as Chief of Staff.
Strategies, policies and plans
The strategic goals of the demographic development of Yakutsk are to stabilize demographic processes, increase the wellbeing of the population, improve and maintain a quality of life, amongst others.
To reduce the anthropogenic pressure on the environment, it is necessary to improve the local regulatory and legal framework and the State management of environmental protection under environmental policy, Ensure that economic development is pursued on the basis of modern, environmentally safe technologies, and shaping the ecological awareness among the population will also reduce pressure on the environment.
Some of the possible solutions to the challenge of collection, processing and neutralization of industrial and domestic waste include:
- development and adoption of a Waste Management Strategy;
- development of a master plan for waste processing;
- construction of a solid waste disposal site responding to environmental threats;
- construction of solid waste landfills for suburban settlements;
- construction of a waste recycling complex;
- reclamation of the old dry landfill;
- construction of biological waste disposal facilities.
Housing and utilities:
- modernization of housing services;
- attraction of private investments in the development of housing infrastructure.
- construction of a waste transfer station allowing for waste sorting.
Landscaping and Lighting:
- greening of yards in residential buildings;
- organization of large-scale landscape compositions;
- greening water protection zones;
- determining the area and location occupied by public landscaping facilities and green spaces and securing their boundaries;
- formation of a comfortable, ecologically safe, aesthetically expressive urban environment;
- reaching the normative value of available green areas by developing new landscaping facilities with area of 45,81 hectares.
The City District will implement the construction policy in doing:
- improvement of the general plan;
- assistance for enterprises in the modernization and innovative development of construction materials;
- improving the quality of construction and reducing its cost;
- assistance in training local population to become highly qualified professional workers.
Strategic tasks to be implemented:
- construction of compact blocks using the technology of “smart houses”;
- development of engineering networks;
- development of the market of services for the supply of electricity, heat energy, gas, water supply and sanitation;
- solving problems on restoration of ecology and deterioration of the permafrost-soil conditions of the city;
- creation of new places for recreation, including green recreational areas with squares;
- resettlement of citizens from the emergency and unsafe housing stocks;
- building of individual houses in suburban settlements;
- development of the market of building materials using environmentally friendly technologies specifically adapted for the North.
Resilience including Risk Reduction
The municipality and the region have different plans of action in the event of various threats. Yakutsk City Administration joins UN-Habitat City Resilience Profiling Programme in an effort to improve capacities and enhance urban resilience.