Capacity of action and level of competences
The City has to coordinate the 3 Municipalities in:
- supporting and promoting alternative energy;
- the construction and running of upcountry bus station;
- the coordination of stakeholders on the location of bus stops;
- the coordination of stakeholders in meeting the City priorities.
The main characteristics of services under the city’s competences are as follows:
- 41 % piped water supply.
- Sewer service from DAWASA 10% (199Km sewer system).
- Septic tanks 19%.
- Pit latrines 71%.
- Pollution of the ground and groundwater.
- Storm Water Drainage Systems 600 Km2.
- Open Channel Drainage 1.100Km.
- The sewer system was built during the colonial time and not upgraded since. The system is 100% overburdened and overflowing and there is no wastewater treatment available, water goes directly into the sea.
- The road network is mostly unpaved (60%). This competence is divided between national and local level.
- 70% of the population lives in informal settlements overcrowded and badly constructed that lack basic infrastructures such as roads, storm water drainage, sewage systems or power supply. More than 100 of those settlements are located within the city, taking advantage of the affordability and availability of lands.
- Although the city has rules and policies, they cannot be applied from the political interference due to upcoming elections or as they are covered by informal structures.
The city has 72Km2 of forest reserves including Pande Coastal Forest, Dondwe Coastal Forest and Pugu Rain Forest. In the last 30 years, due to the huge uncontrolled urban growth and the charcoal needs derived, 30% of forests have been cleared. The city has 4 major rivers and several streams. Two of these rivers provide the water supply for the city (Kizinga and Ruvu rivers). The bad management of drainage and the uncontrolled waste dumping collapse the basins of rivers and impacts in big flooding and health. Local government collects 41% of generated solid waste.
Improve solid waste management. Improve the liquid waste management.
Improve the quality of life to the overcrowded, unplanned and poorly serviced settlements.Solve the petty trading problems caused by unemployment that occupy public space and create traffic problems. Reduce congestion, conflicts and air pollution.
Collection of data.
Disasters are competence of national scale: Prime Minister Office.
There is a political commitment in place to process the certification of some informal settlements to become legal (land titling).